The Buildings

Loading...

Priesthouse Museum



During   Mons. Hawes’ tenure in Mullewa and once he had completed his Church of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel he set about planning for his own accommodation, in 1927 he commenced plans with the encouragement of his parishioners and Archbishop Clune who wished for him to have improved living conditions.


By late 1930 the building was completed ready for use as a presbytery.

 

The building is a low cottage style with red cordoba tiles, built from the same quarried stone as the church.


The large green door to the east of the building when entered one can read the inscription in latin ‘ Janus Patet Cor Magis’ which when translated means ‘ The door opens wide but my heart more so’.  

As one walks through the building it has a warm cosy feel with a typically English style.


The main living room has an ingle-nook fireplace and a large latticed bow window with box seats, walls are half panelled with wallpaper, the cement floors are covered  with  linoleum throughout the dwelling.


Furnished with heavy dark timber, typical of the time this furniture was designed by  Hawes  and made by a Perth craftsman.

During Hawes time as a student at the Arts & Crafts School around 1896 he won first prize for his plaster model of Donatello’s ‘Laughing Boy’ this can be seen on a shelf in the living area. Also in the living area situated on the large sideboard is the silver cup which was presented to Mons Hawes after winning a Yalgoo horse race on his horse ‘Babs’.

During the 1970’s the priest  house was no longer required as a presbytery and the Parish Council decided to set up a the building as a Museum to Mons.Hawes and his works.


The traveller will find many photographs, art work, books, vestments and items used by Mons.Hawes during his time in Mullewa on display.

Google Map

Priests House - Mullewa

Priests House - Mullewa - Western Australia
cnr Doney & Bowes Streets - LatLng (-28.53874, 115.51798)

Virtual Tour (No audio) Top of Page