Sacred Heart Convent – Northampton
This was one of Hawes’s earliest buildings in the Geraldton Diocese. He completed the design work in late 1918 early 1919. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Kelly on 27th February 1919 and the building was opened in October.
The convent was built for the Presentation Sisters and Hawes used some of the builders who had just completed the 1st stage of St Francis Xavier Cathedral including James Bailey , the foreman for the Cathedral, the carpenter Mr Rose and the plasterers Mooney and Jenner.
The cost of the convent was £1200 of which Bishop Kelly donated £400.
Hawes also designed a chapel for the sisters but this was never built. The plans show some of the special features used by Hawes in other buildings throughout WA and The Bahamas.
Visiting the building
The Convent now operates as a Backpackers and is not open to the public.