St Mary of Ara Coeli – Northampton
The Church of St Mary of Ara Coeli in Northampton, 50 kms north of Geraldton, is the largest parish church designed by Hawes. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop O’Collins in May 1936 and the building was opened in September of the same year.
The Parish Priest of Northampton at the time was Dean Irwin and he insisted that a new church be built, as opposed to renovating the old one. He also insisted on it being Gothic in style. Hawes conceded in his speech at the opening ceremony that he had thought Irwin obstinate as he had rejected Hawes’s earlier designs, but that he could now see that he was right. Hawes believed that it was ‘the finest and most impressive church in the Diocese’. The building was constructed of rough hammer-dressed red sandstone stone donated by Mrs Williams of Willow Gully with a green tiled roof. It was built by Mr T P Crothers who had been responsible for the building of the 3rd stage of St Francis Xavier Cathedral.
Play the Audio Tour
Visiting the building
The Church is open on School Days from 9:00 - 3:00.